Walnut Canyon National Monument



The Sinagua were Ancient Puebloans who populated north central Arizona from about 600 until 1400 A.D. The Sinagua of Walnut Canyon initially lived and farmed on the canyon rim, but started building dwellings in the canyon alcoves around 1100 A.D. They inhabited these cliff dwellings until 1250 A.D., then vanished. The Sinagua left over 80 cliff dwellings behind. Walnut Canyon was established as a National Monument in 1915 to protect the dwellings and their contents.



Entrance Sign

Room block
on Canyon Rim


Canyon Rim Room Block


Cliff Dwellings


Cliff Dwellings


Room Blocks under Overhang


Dark inside

Visitor Center
on canyon rim


Room Blocks under Overhang


Cliff Dwellings


Room Blocks under Overhang


Cliff Room Interior


Room Block under Overhang


Part of Island Trail


Cliff Dwellings


Thanks to Wikipedia and the National Park Service for background content.
Use the form on the Home Page to submit comments, questions, or suggestions.  TD Productions Copyright © 2018