Welcome to "The Castle", officially called the Smithsonian Institution Building. The building is
constructed of Seneca red sandstone from the Seneca Quarry in Montgomery County, Maryland, and construction
was completed in 1855. Today, the Castle houses the Smithsonian Institution's administrative offices,
Visitor Center, and various exhibits.
Smithsonian Institution Building "The Castle"
Smithsonian Institution Building Entrance
Joseph H. Henry statue in front of Smithsonian Castle
Rear of Smithsonian Castle and Enid A. Haupt Garden